Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Critiquing Services

Hey all...wanted to pass along another critiquing service for you guys to mull over. Now, before any of you start asking me why I'm promoting competition for the Critique Boutique (my critting service), I'll go ahead and explain....my service deals mainly in complete manuscripts or sets of chapters for contests, submissions, etc. This one is different....this service is a centralized, indepth service. So, without further ado, here's the info:

Hi! My name is Camy Tang, and I have a critique service called The Story Sensei.

A novel's structure is like a button-down shirt. It can be
mis-buttoned so that the story elements aren't quite in the right
places or emphasized enough, making the manuscript disjointed.

I also know that writers are DIRT POOR (I'm one of them), and many
can't afford to hire a freelance editor to go through their entire
manuscript (which costs anywhere from $300 to $3000) and identify
structural flaws.

I offer a cheaper, specialized alternative.

For only $40, I will do a high-level structural critique of your story
using a 2-page single-spaced synopsis and a chapter-by-chapter
synopsis. I'll look for things like:

• Good pacing, strong sense of movement
• Setting as a character
• Unique story premise
• Voice
• Clear story arc--beginning, middle, end
• Inciting Incident
• External goals
• Internal goals
• Obstacles/conflict
• Epiphany/sacrifice
• Black Moment
• Flaws
• Unique/original characters
• Secondary characters--goals, depth, contribute to the story

You can find more information on my website, including testimonies
from writers who have benefited from my services:
http://www.camytang.com/sensei.html

Thanks! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me.
Camy

No comments: