Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thursday's Southern Recipe


In honor of my Justice Seekers series, to which I've included some of my family's favorite recipes in the back of the upcoming release To Write a Wrong: A Justice Seekers Novel, releasing in September. But I'll be sharing some with those who are signed up for my newsletter, and I'll be sharing some here every Thursday.

Here is a recipe from my sister-in-love, Lisa (pictured with my niece, Rachel)
Lisa’s Red Beans & Rice

1 16-ounce bag of dried beans (I use pinto)
2 teaspoons or so of Tony Chachere’s Original Creole seasoning
1/4 teaspoon or a dash of garlic powder
1 pound of skinless link sausage. (I use Eckrich. Down Home sausage is very good too.)
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 cups cooked rice
Large Crock-Pot

Wash beans well and presoak them the night before (if you have time, but it’s not necessary) in a 1/2 pot of water in the Crock-Pot. In the morning, cut the sausage into bite-sized pieces and add to water. Add all other ingredients. Cook on high for at least 6 hours, depending on your Crock-Pot.

No comments: