Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thursday's Southern Recipe

What is food without good company to eat it with? So while I'm sharing recipes, I thought I'd share a photo from a few years back with some of my writing friends. (Left to write: Camy Tang, Cheryl Wyatt, Danica McDonald, me, Margaret Daley, and Allie Plieter)

Today’s southern recipe is one called many things, but I call it GOOD. It’s one of my favorites.



Maque Choux



1 doz ears of fresh corn on the cob

2 tblspn butter

1 onion, finely chopped

½ bell pepper, finely chopped

Salt and cayenne pepper to taste



Cut corn off the cob. (Slice across the tops of the kernels thinly and then cutting across a second time to remove the “milk” from the corn) Heat oil in heavy pot. Add corn and remaining ingredients. Cook over med-low heat for 20 mins, stirring constantly to keep corn from sticking. Lower heat to simmer, cover, and cook for about 5 more mins. Enjoy

1 comment:

Effie Viola said...

We used to eat this all the time at home. Mama called it "Peppered corn." It was an old family recipe that had been passed down through the generations. Mama's ancestors were from France. They came to Charleston during the Huguenot persecution in France. Peppered corn was a recipe they picked up in SC.