Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thursday's Southern Recipes


In honor of my Justice Seekers series, to which I've included some of my family's favorite recipes in the back of the upcoming release To Write a Wrong: A Justice Seekers Novel, releasing in September. But I'll be sharing some with those who are signed up for my newsletter, and I'll be sharing some here every Thursday during the month of March.

Here is my husband's recipe:

Casey’s Chicken & Dumplings

1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
whole chicken with skin, quartered
½ stick real butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon Tabasco
2 cans of ready-to-bake biscuits

Sauté onions, garlic, and celery in the butter until onions are translucent. Add quartered chicken and sear. Add approximately 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Keep at boiling for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove chicken and debone, then remove the skin. Return chicken to water/celery/onion mix. Add Worchestershire sauce and Tabasco. Simmer 35 minutes. Slowly and gradually drop in biscuits—each quartered. Simmer 20 minutes.

No comments: