Thursday, July 05, 2012

Thursday's Southern Recipe


In honor of my Justice Seekers series, to which I've included some of my family's favorite recipes in the back of the upcoming release To Write a Wrong: A Justice Seekers Novel, releasing in September. But I'll be sharing some with those who are signed up for my newsletter, and I'll be sharing some here every Thursday.

This week's recipe is shared by my Aunt Julia Kelly (pictured with her husband, Dan Kelly)...

Aunt Julie’s Red Beans & Rice

(Start with Camellia Beans! It makes a difference.)

1 package dried Camellia Red Beans
2 large white onions, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds smoked sausage, sliced
4 pods pressed garlic
1 teaspoon sugar
Tabasco to taste
Salt & pepper to taste
Cooked rice

Sauté chopped onions in olive oil. Add all ingredients to a large pot, cover with water plus 3 inches more. Then bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and cook covered for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, checking to be sure fluid never goes dry. Taste a bean every now and then to see if it’s tender.

1 comment:

Aqui said...

This was lovely to reaad